Rimo holds BA (Law) and LLB degrees from the University of Stellenbosch, a Certificate in Advanced Criminal Investigation from Technikon SA and a Postgraduate Diploma in Corporate Law from the University of the Witwatersrand. In addition, he received extensive training on financial crime investigation from the FBI, the United States Homeland Security and Scotland Yard Metropolitan Police.
He has thirteen years' experience in conducting forensic investigations, forensic audits, fraud risk-based investigations, fraud risk management, leading forensic teams and providing training on fraud response, prevention and detection. He also has experience in corporate governance coupled with two years exposure to civil law practice as a candidate attorney at Norton Rose Fulbright. He spend five and a half years as a Special Investigator at the Scorpions and spend seven years in the banking industry conducting investigations and heading up a Forensic Unit. During this time he was also a member of the Commercial Crime Steering Committee at the South African Banking and Risk Information Centre (SABRIC).
Some of the significant investigations he has been involved in:
- Interbank cyber-crime and money laundering, where through his skills and leadership R15 million in losses were prevented.
- He was part of the investigation team conducting an investigation into allegations of fraud on travel vouchers in Parliament (Travelgate).
- A R60 million corruption investigation in respect of a listed company and members of one of the biggest trade unions in South Africa.
- He headed up a R6.2 million procurement fraud and corruption investigation, involving a corporate executive.
- A commodity trade finance fraud investigation worth in excess of R30 million rand where the victim company is UK based.
Rimo is also a guest lecturer at the University of Pretoria on the MPhil Fraud Risk Management course lecturing on the application of legal principles when conducting forensic investigations. He was also a Peer Review panel member on the Higher Certificate in Criminal Justice and Forensic Investigations at the University of Johannesburg in July 2015. He facilitates various workshops on forensic investigations, forensic auditing and fraud risk management.